Saturday, January 10, 2009

"I want to do what you're doing."

We're at home today because Ryann has a cold -- coughing, sneezing, lots of snot, etc. We had the opportunity to go to a friend's house to play with several of Ryann's friends this morning, but we decided it was in everyone's best interest to keep these germs to ourselves. So, at the moment we are coloring (actually, I am taking a break to write while this thought is on my mind).

Ryann wanted for us both to color the same thing, so we're each coloring some Christmas bells. I wasn't paying close attention at first, but before long I realized that she was coloring her bells the same way that I was -- same colors, same pattern, same everything. Then she said it. "I want to do what you're doing." No truer words have ever been spoken. She does want to do what I am doing, not just when we're coloring Christmas bells, but all the time. No matter what I am doing, she wants to do what I am doing. That may not sound so profound to you, but what it said to me was that whether I am paying attention or not, she is going to do what I do. It was just a fresh reminder to me that I need to be deliberate in all that I do, to be purposeful in my actions and especially in how I raise my daughter. Even more than that, I need to pay attention to the little things I do when I don't even realize that she is watching. I only get one chance to raise her -- I can't go back for a "do over" when she is 20 if I don't like how she turned out. So, now is the time to pay attention, because she wants to do what I am doing!

“Train up a child in the way he should go; and when he is old he will not depart from it."
-Proverbs 22:6



No comments:

Post a Comment