Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Strawberry Picking

So, after a LONG hiatus, I am back. It sincerely took me 2 months to download the photos on my camera to my computer! Pathetic, but true.

Anyway, Ryann and I decided that we were going to go pick strawberries today because we wanted to make some strawberry jam. (Actually, this morning when she found out that it was just going to be the two of us, she was a little less than enthused. But, we had the "You Should Just Enjoy Doing Things With Mommy and Daddy" talk, and we went anyway!)

The adventure began around 11am this morning. I say "adventure" because it turned out to be much more involved than I had anticipated. I called Megan early this morning to find out how to get to the place we went last year. She couldn't remember how to get there, so she told me to go to the patch near her house. I thought that sounded like a good idea, so we headed that way. Much to my dismay, it was closed until tomorrow. Feeling disappointed but undeterred, I decided to go to another patch that I had seen recently. That one wouldn't be closed -- so I thought. It was closed, too!!! So, by this point, I began to wonder if my longing for strawberry freezer jam would go unfulfilled. I had one more option. I called Ellen to find out the name of the place where we had been last year, hoping she would remember. Thankfully, she spouted it off with no hesitation. Then, I called Michael to see if he could look it up on the web to get directions for me. (All I remembered was that it was out in the middle of NOWHERE!)

So, around noon we finally arrived at the only strawberry patch that was open in the the whole state. We grabbed Ryann's bucket, picked up a flat (box top) for me and went to work. (Yes, work. By the time we were finished picking, we were pooped!!!) Anyway, we picked A LOT of berries. Ryann did a fine job of picking berries that were just right (not underripe, not overripe, not bug-ridden, not mushy -- just right). But even sweeter than any berry we picked today, Ryann said that she was glad that we went... just the two of us.





















2 comments:

  1. Of course she is using a Kiawah bucket!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love the strawberry picking story, especially the "punch line" at the end. Go for those "Mommy and Me" times. Those will be some of the most special memories for Ryann!

    ReplyDelete